Pearson Black Swamp Trail

The first settlers who cut their way through the Great Black Swamp could only dream of a well-defined trail leading them through the appropriately named woods. This trail offers a remnant of Ohio's former Great Black Swamp. The swamp is characterized by very large spreading old growth trees, an understory of spicebush and a groundcover of spring wildflowers. The stoned bridges and gazebo shelters along the way were originally built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) during the mid to late 1930's

The Black Swamp Trail is 1.3 miles long, with a shorter 0.8 mile loop available. There is also a popular path skirting the pedalboat pond and connecting to the Packer-Hammersmith Center.

Parking: located near the Packer-Hammersmith Center Area