Trail Stewards at Oak Openings help maintain the trails so that they can remain clear and open throughout the growing season. Each Trail Steward is assigned to a trail and helps keep brush and vegetation trimmed back as well as removing litter and debris. Trail Stewards report downed limbs, trail hazards and other larger concerns to park maintenance staff. Trail Stewards also help determine if a volunteer group work day is needed for larger trail maintenance projects.
- Walk assigned trail on a weekly or bi-weekly basis from April through early November.
- Trim back brush from trail edge according to trail standards
- Keep trail clear of debris and litter
- Report downed limbs or other larger concerns
- Use tools and equipment in a safe manner
Trail Steward Volunteers must be 18 years old and comfortable working outdoors as well as hiking on trails while carrying hand tools. Community and corporate groups are also welcome. To Volunteer, individuals and groups must have a Metroparks Volunteer Application on file and undergo a Trail Steward Training in late March.
Visit the website to complete a volunteer application. You can attend an informational meeting in early March to learn more about the program and how you can get involved.
For More Information
Contact Lori Miller at email@example.com or 419-407-9713